Monday, February 7, 2011

Kind of a Big Deal

How do you know who you are?

Chances are somebody told you. Probably your parents.

It's kind of a basic question when you think about it, but I think the repercussions are kind of a big deal.

Let me put it this way, you cannot get a job, a bank account, or even enroll in school without proof of who you are. Basically, identity is a nonnegotiable asset we use to access our lives. So much so, that there are entire industries dedicated to preventing identity theft.

Though there are probably more ways to identify ourselves than ever, a deep sense of identity is sorely lacking, especially in my generation.

Like I said before, our identity comes from relationships. What if relationships have failed us? What if the only people who have told us who we are have also hurt us?

I think this is the reason many people don't know who they are; the reason many eagerly accept the labels that others put on them. Labels like failure, perfect, never good enough, invincible.

So... What does this mean? It means that we can live hopelessly, constantly being tossed around by others' view of us, or we can follow in Jesus' footsteps, receiving our sense of who we are directly from the Father and rejecting any other perception that contradicts this truth.

You see, our identity from the Father is our access to Life. In John 8, Jesus tells His followers that they are no longer slaves, but children of God, that they will have eternal life, and that He is who He says He is.

I speak from experience when I say that the more my understanding of who I am comes from my heavenly Father, the more steady I am. Instead of being constantly thrown off balance by the uncertainty of my life and surroundings, I get to hold firm to His truth. I love being able to freely accept criticism without the fear that it will somehow deplete my sense of security. I love being free to invest in relationships, even if the return is minute. I love that I can take risks, even if failure is a definite possibility. I love being able to stand strong in the chaos of a fallen world.

When you think about it, you don't have to do anything; your identity is given to you free of charge. Any misconception that who you are is synonymous with what you do is a complete and utter lie. Instead, it's our Father in heaven who tells us who we are, and from identity comes obedience to His will.

So how can Jesus get away with telling us to take up our cross and follow Him, all the while promising that his yoke is easy and light? It all comes back to the flow of obedience from identity. The fact that He knows us so completely, yet loves us so unfailingly (basic components of I.D., if you think about it) gives Him the authority to ask us to die to ourselves and take on His character.

So, not only do I relish the fact that He loves and knows me, but I can't help but want to obey Him when He tells me to submit to Him yet again. For me, this season of my life is all about character and growing into the shoes He has made for me to fill (D2, if you're familiar). I don't really think that I could ever permit Him to take me there if I didn't know who I was first; it's pretty much my saving grace on the days that He points out yet another thing we have to work on. Right now, I find that I am low on experience and know-how when it comes to really doing things well. Good thing I'm not what I do, right?

Identity. Get some.


No comments:

Post a Comment