Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Day I Found John 15 in my Closet

As Chris very accurately put it, I've already hit D2 of this season. I don't think I ever actually got through D2 last semester, so maybe this is just a continuation? Ha.

Today, though, I was reminded that D2 is a time for tons of vision and grace, both from people in leadership over me and from Jesus Himself.

So what's the vision? Pruning.

It really does remind me of cleaning out my closet last month. I found myself saying things like:

"Maybe I could like this, given the right combination."

"Well, these jeans used to fit..."

"I really did like this awhile ago, maybe I'll just wait and see if I begin to like it again."

"I don't remember why I bought this, but I probably had a good reason at the time."

I think these same excuses go for other areas of my life. There are things I do that certainly were a good fit to my style and capacity a while ago, but I think these words from Jesus are ringing true with incredible clarity for me right now:

"I am the true vine, and my father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." -John 15:1-4

Jesus is like, "Hey Amanda, remember the time you surrendered your schedule to me? Remember how the promise of life abundant and balance are the legs you stand on? Remember all the ways I work things out for you when you commit yourself to being faithful with your time? Remember how important honor is?"

... And there's the grace.

Hey Jesus, I think you're right about that. I think it's time to get the shears out.



No comments:

Post a Comment