Saturday, March 21, 2009

Looking at the Heart

Let me start this off by saying that I really should be studying for midterms right now. But I'm stuck. You see, my life sciences midterm is on several of the body's systems (ie. urinary, respiratory, circulatory etc.). We're required to know the parts of the heart and how the blood circulates through our bodies. This is the part I'm stuck on - the heart has so many parts that I'm struggling to understand it all. Not to bore you with the details, deoxygenated blood enters the heart through one chamber, runs through the lungs, and enters our bodies from the other side. It's just so ... complex.


It's amazing how "Aha" moments always coincide with other key realizations. Though I'm perplexed by the complexity of the heart, I can't help but see a connection to our hearts in a spiritual sense. The heart gives life to the body by providing it with oxygen. In this way, I feel like I'm delving deeper into God's heart for His people than I ever have before. I'm reading this book called "The Ragamuffin Gospel." It's all about God's heart for broken people, people who lack the "oxygen-giving life" of grace and unconditional love. We're all broken people whose hearts don't function properly. We lack oxygen! Some of us aknowledge the fact that we are gasping for air, and some of us are completely unaware of it, but when we connect our hearts with God's, we aquire life, we can breathe again. His heart functions perfectly to support a healthy body, a Holy one, even!

No comments:

Post a Comment