Thursday, March 26, 2009

Space

So I was entirely perplexed by something up until this week, but now I feel like I've achieved a new level of understanding.

Let me back up by saying that Holy Spirit has lived in my heart since I was five years old. I grew in my faith a lot when I was a little kid, however, as I started to get older, my life became a lot fuller. You could probably have called my heart cluttered. I'm sure Holy Spirit lived in there somewhere, but I had probably banished Him Harry Potter-style to a closet under the stairs. Throughout High School, I would go to camp, or on a mission trip, or to a retreat, and I would experience Holy Spirit so heavily, but then I would go home and clutter up my life again. This frustrated me because I wanted to experience God's presence everyday. Anyways, fast forward.

My church went through this small group series in January called "Push it to the Limit." Now before you start humming that Corbin Bleu song, let me tell you what this series was all about. The big idea was margin - margin in our time, finances, workplaces, ministry, and morality. My first reaction to this series was one of a skeptic. I didn't feel like I had any space in those areas to give God. So I continued on in frustration.

For some reason, about a month after this series ended, I decided I needed some space, so I started getting up earlier to spend time with God, actually tithing, and planning my time better. I've reaped some amazing things like shortened or canceled classes, extra babysitting jobs, and effective study time. What had perplexed me before is that my schedule was so packed that I couldn't even fathom spending time with God. Little did I know that spending time with God would result in Him unpacking my schedule for me! Growing in vulnerability with Holy Spirit has put me on a whole new level of intimacy with Him. Where He might have been banished into a closet before, I'm putting Him up in a penthouse with a view now!

1 comment: